During the Youth Workshop class at the Amani Institute, we were discussing why it is important to work with the youth. We came up with many reasons:
- The youth are easily to influence because they easily understand issues.
- They are the largest in terms of population ans so they are the best target to work with.
- They are the “leaders of the future”.
- They are energetic.
- They are flexible.
Our tutor told us to think about the third point which states that the “Youth are the Leaders of the Future”. At the end of the discussion we disagreed with the statement. We believed that the youth are the leaders of now! I will share with you briefly the three reasons why the youth are not the leaders of the future.
- We are the leaders of today: How do you define a leader in the context of age? Anybody can be a leader irrespective of the age. The innovative things we see happening in the world are done by young people below the age of 30 years. The youth need to know that, they need not to waste 20 years of their time to be leaders, but they need to have a mindset to understand that as young as they are they can cause an influence in the world they find themselves in.
- The youth are capable to act now! The youth have the expertise to cause change now than later. The most advanced progress made in our world today are all powered by the creative minds of the youth. Age does not determine creative thinking even though it does suggest experience.
- “There’s no doubt about it, youth and youth culture not only represent what’s next for society but also what’s NOW. Therefore, working with youth is of utmost importance as it gives you a vantage point that keeps you aware, connected, and youthful. Investment in the lives of youth helps to sow seeds of potential that lead to greatness.” (Jabari Smith, Amani Institute)