WSUP-supported projects work with the low income communities to ensure service levels are adequate, affordable and reflect the needs and demands of the community as well as ensuring that their responsibilities as good consumers are met. In addition, WSUP works with both the service providers and the community to open dialogue between them. There are great benefits in this partnership approach for all stakeholders: consumers, local service providers, local NGOs, donors and the private sector. The most important stakeholders – the urban poor – gain access to lasting water and sanitation services and actively participate throughout the project.
Position title: Enterprises Lead Duty station: Kumasi, Ghana
Reports to: Manager (WSUP Enterprises) Direct reports: Project staff, Consultants
Over a billion people already live in low income urban communities globally, and Africa’s urban population is set to triple to 1.23 billion between 2010 and 2050. Understandably, the increasing urban population is stretching the resources of public service providers, with public investment failing to keep pace. Despite being underserved, the urban poor are paying many times more for essential services than wealthier populations in both health and economic terms. The private sector is naturally filling the gap in consumer demand, but with limited impact. WSUP Enterprises works to change that. WSUP Enterprises is a new dedicated business unit within WSUP bringing the requisite combination of skills and disciplines to strengthen private sector delivery of clean water and sanitation to consumers at the base of the economic pyramid (BoP). Initially focussing in four out of WSUP’s six countries, it focuses on three high impact areas: support SME growth by improving access to finance; building scalable and sustainable inclusive business models; and providing business consulting services to the most promising entrepreneurs. We are seeking a visionary leader with experience in both urban water/sanitation service delivery and social enterprise to lead our Enterprises programme in Ghana. They will demonstrate passion, entrepreneurial spirit and empathy with WSUP’s aims and values. This is a demanding role that requires a high calibre, dedicated leader with a deep commitment to tackling the issue of global poverty.
• Accountable for driving forward delivery of key project milestones and building relationships with national and local stakeholders through policy dialogue, strategic communications and capacity development activities.
Key job responsibilities:
• Lead the piloting and testing of private sector led, technology-inspired, market-based service delivery approaches to water and sanitation;
• Build strategic relationships in Ghana – wit policy makers, municipal staff, SMEs, development partners – with the aim of effecting systemic change in the provision of water and sanitation services by the private sector;
• Research the institutional landscape applying to the non-sewered sanitation sector, provide technical assistance and policy support in the development and strengthening of private sector participation;
• Manage activities in the achievement of project milestones and manage an annual budget, ensuring expenditures are within approved budgets and according to local laws;
• Facilitate links to financing sources for private sector players to increase their reach to the BoP;
• Identify and manage short term assignments of visiting engineering and MBA students from WSUP partner universities;
• Capture and share key learning’s/insights from Ghana and WSUP programmes that influence key stakeholders, with support from the
WSUP M&E Manager;
• Represent WSUP Enterprises at relevant domestic and international conferences;
• Recruit and develop project staff as and when required, providing mentorship and guidance, ensuring clarity in their key responsibilities;
• Ensure good communications at all times between all internal and external contacts.
• WSUP Enterprises Manager
• Other WSUP Enterprises staff
c/o CARE Gulf of Guinea
Kumasi Sub Office
P.O. Box AS 18
t: (+233) 051-61886/7
Company Limited by Guarantee No. 5419428 registered in England & Wales. Registered address: 2-6 Cannon Street, London EC4M 6YH
• WSUP support staff
• WSUP Ghana Country Programme Manager
• Government officials
• Local government staff
• Local businesses / entrepreneurs
Educational/technical skills and qualifications:
• University degree in a field relevant to WSUP Enterprises such as water/sanitation, social sciences, business, institutional development, economics, finance, or engineering;
• At least 8 years of professional full-time experience in a similar field, either in private sector delivered water and sanitation services, private equity, general business management or similar private sector participation in basic services;
• Strong business experience including marketing, operations or consulting;
• Demonstrable experience in working independently as well as building, managing and motivating teams;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and concise manner;
General/personal skills and qualifications:
• Entrepreneurial mind-set, able to come up with fresh, innovative ideas and act on them;
• Experience of working with small and medium enterprises
• Possesses strong skills in diplomacy, negotiation and patience
• Experience of working with human-centred design is beneficial.
Working conditions (e.g., travel, overtime, hours of operation):
• International travel at least once a year is required.
• WSUP offers compensation and benefits commensurate with experience.
Please download the application form and equal opportunities form from www.wsup.com/vacancies.
Please send all completed documents to email@example.com by 17:00 (GMT) on 24th May 2013.